WELCOME

Welcome to the Perak Bar Blog!

Please note that comments are subject to the terms of use of this Blog as stated in the Disclaimer and Terms of Use below. All comment makers must furnish their full name when making comments. All anonymous postings shall be deleted.

Take time off

The Perak Bar Treasure Hunt Saturday 18 May 2013 Free Entry All participants will win prizes

2010-04-15

2nd Report on the LAC Women's Rights Awareness Roadshow

About a month ago, the Perak Bar Legal Aid Centre organised a Women’s Rights awareness and outreach roadshow in conjunction with Women’s Day. The event was held all week long to gather up as much interest and awareness as possible. I’ve been asked to put my pen down on my experience, so here is my attempt.

I had quite a bit of fun, myself, and judging from the pictures my friends took and I know they had their share too. It also quickly dawned on me that people were not particularly interested in women’s issues, we were being consulted on a myriad of things: theft, cheating, police inefficiency, probate and even muslim inheritance laws. Boy am I glad I paid attention in school. At other times, my partner and I merely lent them a listening ear. (The Befrienders booth was just next to us though).

Apart from people walking about the booths, there isn’t much to tell. I don’t know of any unwanted scenes to let you all in on about. I guess I should have picked the weekend slots. There were performances then. I’d have reams to write about that. We did our job, I hope. At least it seemed we did. The booths were all getting attention.

Nevertheless, I believe those who approached us at least left with something in their hands (I was furiously stuffing those pamphlets in people’s hands).


Francis Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment